The line work is finally just about done! It’s been a while since I did anything so textural, so doing his guy’s hair and beard was pretty fun. The next step will be the smoke, then color… I’m still not sure how I want to color it. Either something flat and stark, or maybe more painterly… I’ll figure it out as I go.
This guy’s got one helluvah jaw.
Just about half way through inking that sketch from yesterday. After I get his neck and shoulders done, I still have to adjust the lines of his face a bit more, then his hair and beard, and then finish up the smoke lines.
That blue line down the middle of his face is a just a ruler marker that I’m using to keep my center line straight.
Something I worked up real quick in between work today. I was going in a very different direction when I started sketching, but I like how it’s turning out. I think I may ink him tomorrow!
I always try to give myself at least a day in between sketching and inking… After a few hours away, it’s a lot easier to pick out all those mistakes that were hard to see with my nose glued to the screen.
I’ve been going through all of my old files trying to find some of the best images to post up here, or at least some of the more interesting ones… There are tons, but I want to keep it to just some of my favorites since I’ve already posted quite a few of them already on my Facebook Page. Plus, to keep from totally overloading I’ll try to keep to only 1-2 posts a day while I’m playing catch up.
So here is a Sugar Skull design that I did for the upcoming Festival Anonymous logo. I started out with a line drawing of a skull, then sketched in some swirls and patterns on top. In a new layer I placed the dots around the outline of the skull and “Festival”, then one by one started in on the interior design swirls and gradients, the whole time picking colors out of a palette I had already chosen. Once that was done I went back to my sketch layer and placed the letters “anonymous” below and sketched out the surrounding design, taking inspiration from Mardi Gras/festivals/celebrations (so explosions, fireworks, and the crown design up top). With that placed I went back in with my dots, outlined the letters then went one by one into the design until I had the finished product! All together it took me about 42 hours from beginning to end.
And here’s the black and white version.