Wheatpaste Concept Sketches 2

Another concept sketch for the wheat paste I’m planning. This time I was testing out the composition, making sure the positions of the characters worked. Plus I was testing out the style. I wasn’t sure just how cartoony I wanted to go with it. I liked the look of the composition for the most part, but the fox and kids turned out too exaggerated.

A little more tweaking and it’s almost ready!

Advertisements

Wheatpaste Concept Sketches

I’ve been tossing around ideas for a wheatpaste that I want to try out.. I’ve never done it before, so I really have no idea what I’m doing and it’ll be a total experiment. Here are some of the concept sketches I did for my first idea. (sorry about the awful scans =/)

I wanted to do something light and fun, and I’ve also had masks on the brain for a while now. The general idea is two children playing with fox masks, one distracted and the other confronting the very  spirit they were playing at, face to face.

I actually have the semi-final sketches for this idea just about completed, but I’ll wait to post those until I’m a little further along.

SunRise ver. 3

And the third and final version of SunRise! (SunRise version 1, SunRise version 2) I did all three of these versions as completed, stand alone images, to show the different price points that I offer for illustrations and I’m pretty pleased with how they turned out. It was actually a lot more difficult then I expected it would be, to have to design three different levels of detail and compositions for one image…! I started by drawing and inking the main image of the woman, since that would be the same through all three images, then I went straight to the third, most detailed image and began working in the background. When I was happy with the results of the third image, I began taking it apart to less detailed levels, and putting that into the first and second images… Then I had to balance them all so that they not only showed the different levels of detail, but so they actually worked on their own and didn’t just look unfinished.

So if you’d like to see all three on the same page (so it’s easier to see the difference between them) you should check out the “Illustration” page under my Prices section. With this illustration done, my Prices Page is finally completed (for the most part…) and just in time for the convention in Chicago this weekend! I leave the day after tomorrow so today I’m buckling down and getting all my printing and last minute work done. Yikes, I still have so much to do…!!  (“_”; ) ( ;”_”)

SunRise ver. 2

Here’s the second version of SunRise. It has a background now and a lot more detailing. In the original sketch she was actually stringing a bow, using her feet to balance it, but I liked the way her hands turned out so much that the bow didn’t seem necessary. That, and it threw the composition way off, no matter how I drew it.

Like I said before when I posted the first version, this is nothing at all like I imaged it would be when I was first sketching it. It’s really interesting how all the little tweaks and changes somehow ended up with this.

Tomorrow I’ll post the final version with all of the full details!

SunRise ver. 1

I started a sketch several months ago that never really got very far. I got tired of it quickly and put it aside until a few days ago. I needed to do an illustration that could show the three different “tiers” of price points that I offer, so I went digging around in my computer for old ideas and sketches, and I found the sketch. Except for the general pose of the body, almost everything about this image is completely different then I had originally imaged while sketching. I had to change a lot around to make it work for the three tier process, but I’m glad I did. It was going to be something pretty generic at first, and this is way cooler.

I’ll post the next two tiers tomorrow and the day after (once I’ve tweaked them a bit more), and then I’ll post them up on the Prices page to finish that off =)

Paper Mache

It’s early October and everyone is starting to seriously plan their Halloween costumes, so yesterday we had a little paper mache party (three of us sitting on the floor covered in flour paste). I won’t be around for Halloween this year so I wasn’t worried about making anything I’d actually wear… so the pressure was off and I went a little crazy! I’ve been planning out a big Wheat Paste project and it has to do with Kitsune masks, so I already had them on the brain with all the sketching I’ve been doing lately. I just didn’t realize the amount of work one little fox mask would be.

So far I have all of the parts (two ears, nose, mask base) wired with the paper mache base around them and dried, but the weight of the ears and nose are going to pull on the base mask so much that I realized I’m going to have to make a small frame to go inside the mask, then wired the attachments on after building up another few layers of the mask. Then there’s the molding. The nose I made is in a general fox-like shape, but if I just stuck it on the face as is it’d end up looking more like some weird growth. After the nose is wired to the face, I’ll have to use loose strips of paper to create more of a gradual slope to the nose, and that means a lot more layer building too.

Here’s a bottom view of the pieces so far.

And a top view with my cat giving you a size reference =)

The mask looks like a Luchador mask… but the opening that looks like a mouth will be covered up by the big nose once the frame is done. I’m definitely doing the shape of this mask non traditionally. Usually you see Kitsune masks with human shaped faces (just with ears), or with very small delicate noses, but the way I’m going to paint this needs a large nose piece since it’s going to have a big exaggerated grinning face.

So hopefully I won’t loose steam on this… It’s hard to keep motivated on a project when it still looks ugly haha.