I’ve been looking forward to starting my own mural for the past few weeks and yesterday I finally got a chance to begin! It’s been a slow start so far, but it’s coming along. I’m painting in a town called Sayulita, about an hour north of Puerto Vallarta, on the outside of a Kindergarten near the middle of town. The wall is long and low (about 5 feet high) with a little pyramid shape sticking up about 2/3 of the way down the wall. I started with a flat blue base coat yesterday and there was a little miscommunication on the amount needed, so I ended up running out just a couple feet from the end of the wall. Since the wall still needed lots of touchups to cover spots and and what-not I had to stop for the day. Today we got another couple gallons of blue so the last bit of the wall was covered up in no time, then another light cover up layer over the first, plus some little touchups and the wall was primed and ready to go!
I had a few rough drawings and a thumbnail sketch of the over all composition that I was working from.
The real detailed sketching/pre-painting part always happens in my head, usually as I fall asleep at night. After a few nights of day dream painting and leaping out of bed to sketch “just one more idea” it all starts to comes together, but even now as I lay it out and begin to paint, the idea is flexible and loose. The colors are all over the place too. I have an idea of colors that I really like, and I’ve looked through the available paint left over from the other artists that were in town so I know what’s available and what I might be able to mix, but where exactly each color goes… I won’t know that until I’m in front of the wall with the color in my hand.
I’m getting ahead of myself, though. After the blue base paint was all done it was time for some layout. I used chalk, since it’s easy to fix with a quick wipe of a damp cloth. I still keep the lines loose while I focus on hammering out the composition with the actual proportions of the wall. Once everything (or at least mostly everything) is in place, it’s finally time for some color! Unfortunately, I plan on mixing the base blue with a black and a white to make different tones, but the black and white paints were locked up and no one was able to get to them! Aaaaah, so that was it for today! I could have started in on the accent colors, but that would have been skipping a pretty important step and I know I wouldn’t have been very happy with the result. So tomorrow the plan is to get the black and white (one way or another…) and get the base shapes painted in.
Ah, and of course, I forgot my camera today, so no photos of the wall yet. I’ll try to remember to grab it tomorrow so I can get a picture before I start the colors.